2013-2014 – Our First Year : The Beginning of our Journey
- Curriculum selections: My Father’s World kindergarten & Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons (read the curriculum review here!)
- Family dynamics: a kindergartner, a preschooler, a baby, and pregnant with our 4th who was due in June 2014
It was a beautiful experience for us! Our first year was everything I dreamed it would be! Read more about it here.
2014-2015 – Our Second Year : The Roller Coaster Year
- Curriculum selections: My Father’s World first grade, Bob Jones Math (which we started mid year), and a few chapter books
- Family dynamics: a first grader, a preK/K (October birthday, but not really ready for school), a 1 year old, a baby, and pregnant with our 5th who was due September 2015. We also sold our home and moved in with my husband’s parents while we completely gutted and remodeled the farmhouse which is now our home. My husband was working full time, and in almost all of his free time he was building our house.
This year was truly difficult and wonderful in so many ways, through it all God was faithful and He gave me the strength I needed to continue on this homeschool journey. Read more about our kinda crazy year here.
2015-2016 – Our Third Year : Growing in Confidence
- Curriculum selections for 2nd grade: Classical Conversations, Saxon Math, Bob Jones English, Bob Jones handwriting, Spell to Write and Read
- Curriculum selections for Kindergarten: She finished the 2nd half of MFW 1st that she had done with my oldest the year before and started Bob Jones 1st grade math
- Family dynamics: a second grader, a kindergartner, a 2 year old, a 1 year old, and a baby. We moved into our partially finished farmhouse in September, that same month we welcomed our fifth child.
We got off to a hectic start having our fifth baby in September. To top off the chaos a little more, this was the year that I did not end up liking any of our curriculum with the exception of Classical Conversations. Surprisingly, even with my dislike for the materials we were using, I feel like this is the year that I grew in my confidence as a homeschool mom and began to catch the vision for a beautiful, classical, “schole” education for my children.
2016-2017 – Our Fourth Year : Finding Our Groove
- Curriculum selections for 3rd grade: Classical Conversations, and at first it was First Language Lessons, Writing with Ease, and Teaching Textbooks Math, All About Spelling, but mid year I switch all of our core subjects to Christian Light Education with the exception of All About Spelling (I kept that one)
- Curriculum selections for 1st grade: Same as above, then switched to Christian Light Education for her as well.
- Family Dynamics: a third grader, a first grader, a 3 year old, a 2 year old, a 1 year old, and our 6th baby due in January.
Once again, I did not like many of the curriculum choices I made. It was quite disheartening by October, but I began praying for God to lead our family to the curriculum that would be the right fit for us. Praise the Lord, He did answer! And this mid-year curriculum switch changed everything for our homeschool. We finally found our homeschooling groove!
2017-2018 – Our Fifth Year : guess I’ll have to title this when the year ends. 🙂
- Curriculum selections for 4th grade: Classical Conversations, Essentials of the English Language, IEW, Spectrum Spelling, Christian Light Education (reading, math, and half a year of LA since we school year round the LA is for when we are not doing Essentials work)
- Curriculum sections for 2nd grade: Classical Conversations, Christian Light Education (math, reading, LA)